Session 5: Listening
May 4 @ 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Participants will review the competency of Active Listening. We will discuss the concept of deep and focused listening and reinforce the importance of coaches listening “for” rather than listening “to” the client. The emphasis is on hearing what the client values and believes and helping them expand their possibilities and ideas. Participants will examine the barriers to deep listening such as judgment or personal beliefs, and create strategies for improved listening.
Learning Objectives: Participants will . . .
- Review ICF definition of Active Listening
- Contrast the listening “for” and listening “to”
- Discover the foundational importance of listening in the coach/client relationship
- Discuss the ingredients of active or “deep” listening
- Practice and explore appropriate ways to interrupt a client’s back story to help them focus on the essence of their situation.
- Understand when a client needs to “vent” and when/how to move on productively
- Create an action plan to apply to their coaching practice
Did you know? You can buy tickets to the complete webinar series!